Level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4, and Level 5 Prisons In Virginia
Here is complete information about Level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4, and Level 5 Prisons In Virginia
Virginia, the 12th largest US State in terms of population, also has a sizable prison population. The Virginia Department of Corrections (VADOC) is the government agency that works under the state of Virginia Government is responsible for all community corrections along with the operating of prisons.
Similar to the other US States, Prison Policy also criticizes Virginia for its highest number of incarcerated prisoners which falls between over 749 per 100,000 making it quite a higher percentage of its people than any democracy on earth. Given the numbers, as of 2022, there are 69,000 Virginia residents that are locked up in different prisons in the state of Virginia.
How many State prisons does Virginia have?
As of 2022, the state of Virginia has over 27 state prisons which are spread across over 133 counties. In order to manage such a massive prison population, the state of Virginia employs 12,351 VADOC trained staff members which comprise members that know how to handle even the most dangerous of criminals out there.
Additionally, Virginia has a budget of $1.2 billion that helps it to operate and manage its state prisons. On the 24th of March, 2021, the state of Virginia abolished capital punishment which largely comprised of male death row inmates.
Now the state courts of Virginia sentence violent criminals to life imprisonment rather than to a death sentence. This move makes Virginia among the very few states that have stopped executing violent criminals but rather focus on their rehabilitation so that if any case ever arises, they are sent back to society as contributing members.
Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, and Level 5 distinctions of State prisons in Virginia:
In Virginia, prisons are divided into 5 different levels that include:
- Level 1: Level 1 prisons house inmates that have a shorter sentence of 24 months and are largely in prison while undergoing their trial. Level 1 prisons are the least secure prison establishments and prisoners are housed in a common room of 6 to 8 inmates.
- Level 2: Level 2 prison houses inmates that have shown some violent tendencies and are sentenced for such a crime. Level 2 prisons usually have 4 to 2 people per room and have extensive rehabilitation programs ensuring when inmates are sent back to society, they are contributing members.
- Level 3: Level 3 prisons in Virginia house inmates who have done a serious crime and are sentenced there likewise. The security protocols deployed by VADOC are very intense to make sure the prison’s security protocols and discipline are well maintained.
- Level 4: Level 4 prisons in Virginia house serious criminals, some of whom have committed serious violent crimes and awarded a life sentence. Each inmate is given their own cell and VADOC keeps a constant eye on every prison’s movement and participation in rehabilitation programs.
- Level 5: Level 5 are the maximum-security prisons that are operated by VADOC under very strict guidelines and security protocols. This is where inmates who have committed additional crimes within prisons are housed apart from those who were sent to prison in the first place.
List of Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, and Level 5 state prisons in Virginia:
Following are some of the best Level 1 to Level 5 Prisons in Virginia.
Anthony Correctional Center
This facility houses male and female inmates that are between the ages of 18 to 25. Each offender is to serve a minimum of six and a maximum of twenty-four months sentence at Anthony Correctional Center. It offers dozens of rehabilitation programs for its adult inmates.
Anthony Correctional Center is a security Level 1 and Level 2 prison.
Beckley Correctional Center
The facility has a capacity of 137 male offenders and has two buildings. It provides residential and substance abuse treatment programs (RSAT).
Beckley Correctional Center is a security level 3 prison.
Appalachian Detention Center
The facility has the capacity to house 106 inmates.
Appalachian Detention Center is a security level 1 and level 2 prison.
Baskerville Correctional Center
The facility has a capacity to house 487 male inmates and was opened in 1962.
Baskerville Correctional Center is a security level 1, level 2, level 3, and level 4 prison.
Bland Correctional Center
It is a mixed custody facility that was opened way back in 1946. I can house 652 inmates.
Bland Correctional Center is a security level 1 and level 2 prison.
Brunswick Work Center
The facility houses female inmates and has a capacity of 708 inmates.
Brunswick Work Center is a security level 1 prison.
Buckingham Correctional Center
It is located outside the town of Dillwyn in Buckingham County, Virginia, and houses 1100 male inmates.
Buckingham Correctional Center is a level 3 and level 4 prison.
Caroline Correctional Unit 13
Located in Chesterfield, Virginia, and opened in 1971. It can house 268 female prisoners and allows them to provide a labor force for the local community services.
Caroline Correctional Unit 13 is a level 2, level 3, and level 4 prison.
Coffeewood Correctional Center
The facility was opened in 1994 and can house over 1193 prisoners.
Coffeewood Correctional Center is a level 3 and level 4 prison.
Deep Meadow Correctional Center
Deep Meadow Correctional Center is a level 2, level 3, and level 4 prison.
Deerfield Correctional Center
The facility was opened in 1994 and has a working capacity to house over 1069 male prisoners.
Deerfield Correctional Center is a level 2, level 3, and level 4 prison.
Some other prisons in this list are:
- Dillwyn Correctional Center: Dillwyn Correctional Center is a level 2 prison.
- Fluvanna Correctional Center for Women: Fluvanna Correctional Center for women is a level 3 prison.
- Green Rock Correctional Center: The facility is located in Chatham, Virginia. It can house 1,038 male inmates. Green Rock Correctional Center is a level 3 prison.
- Greensville Correctional Center: Greensville Correctional Center is a level 1, level 2, and level 3 prison.
- Halifax Correctional Center: Halifax Correctional Center is a level 1, level 2, and level 3 prison.
- Indian Creek Correctional Center: Indian Creek Correctional Center level 2 and level 3 prison.
- Lunenburg Correctional Center: The facility was opened in 1995 and can house 1185 male inmates.
- Lunenburg Correctional Center is a security level 2, level 3, and level 4 prison.
- Marion Treatment Center: It is a mental health hospital that houses inmates of mixed custody and can house 375 male inmates. Marion Treatment Center is a security level 3 prison.
- Nottoway Correctional Center: Nottoway Correctional Center is a security level 3 prison for male inmates.
- Patrick Henry Correctional Unit: Patrick Henry Correctional Unit is a level 1 prison for male inmates.
- Pocahontas State Correctional Center: Pocahontas State Correctional Center is a security level 2, and level 3 prison for male inmates.
- Powhatan Correctional Center: Powhatan Correctional Center is a security level 2 prison.
- Red Onion State Prison: Red Onion State Prison is a security level 5 prison with a population of 713 male inmates.
- River North Correctional Center: Located at independence, Grayson County, Virginia, can house 1024 inmates. River North Correctional Center is a level 2 and level 3 prison.
- St. Brides Correctional Center: St. Brides correctional center is a security level 2 and level 3 prison.