Being the 7th most populous state in the United States, Ohio fairs much better when it comes to the number of incarcerated citizens. Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction ODRC which is a governing body tasked with prison duties, ensuring inmates get proper rehabilitation and the streets of Ohio are safe.
Ohio’s prison system is ranked as the sixth-largest prison system in the whole United States of America, however, over the years it is seeing a declining trend. However, despite declining numbers of prisoners, Ohio has not been too inclined to close down its correctional facilities as seen in the case of other states but rather use it as an opportunity for ODRC to focus more on each inmate’s particular rehabilitation.
The set budget of Ohio’s prison system is $1.8 billion in 2022 and is expected to rise in the coming years largely due to Ohio taking precautionary steps by ensuring ODRC employees and staff get proper training along with inmates to have proper rehabilitation programs so that when they go back to society, they are dedicated citizens of the state.
Number of prisoners in the state and federal prisons of Ohio:
As of 2022, the number of inmates in the state of Ohio is 49,255 which is far less compared with 50,000 in 2014. Overall, the number of prisoners is declining in Ohio. However, there is one clear distinction here.
The number of male prisoners is declining but the number of female prisoners is rising. The authorities in Ohio say this is attributed due to several reasons and are ensuring the rehabilitation programs within their female prisons are improved and cater to the growing demand.
In 1970, there were 538 women in prisons and this number has skyrocketed to 4,550 women in 2022. According to prison policy, Ohio has 659 per 100,000 people incarcerated which is almost any democracy on earth.
Number of Federal prisons in the state of Ohio:
Like other states, Ohio also has federal prisons for federal crimes. However, the number of federal prisons is only 2 which accommodates the needs and demands of Ohio. In total, as of 2022, 1,804 inmates are housed in these 2 federal prisons in Ohio. These prisons are overseen by the Northeast Regional Office of the Federal Bureau of Prisons BOP.
These 2 federal prisons are low to medium-security prisons for male inmates, and as per BOP rules, if there is a convicted inmate who requires a high-security prison, they can be transferred to a high-level security prison in a more secure prison. The same applies to female inmates.
The federal prisons in Ohio include:
- FCI Elkton: Federal Correctional Institution Elkton is located in Columbiana county near Elkton and serves as a low to a medium-security prison for male inmates. As per the rules and regulations for inmates by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, all inmates are to obtain employment at the prisons unless or until their health renders them unable to do so. Furthermore, inmates are also exposed to academic, vocational, and self-enrichment courses. There are a few recreational and leisure opportunities that are available in the prison.
- FSL Elkton: Federal Satellite Low Elkton is located in Columbiana county near Elkton and is a prison for male inmates who are convicted of federal crimes. The facility is a low-security institution and is located 45 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
FSL Elkton comprises a medical care level 2 facility and therefore is equipped with dealing with chronic conditions if a need arises. As per the rules of the Federal Bureau of Prisons, it is a must for every inmate to attend educational, self-improvement, and vocational programs along with doing prison jobs unless or until there is a medical condition.
Number of State level prisons in Ohio:
All under the supervision of the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, there are over 28 prisons in the state of Ohio. These prisons range from low to high-security levels and inmates depending upon the nature of their crime, are transferred likewise.
The following are the number of state-level prisons in Ohio:
- Allen Oakwood Correctional Institution: The facility offers mixed custody of both male and female inmates and can house approximately 1500 inmates.
- Belmont Correctional Institution: The facility is a minimum to medium custody prison for male inmates located in Saint Clairsville, Ohio. The facility can house 2,700 inmates.
- Chillicothe Correctional Institution: It is a medium-security level prison for male inmates and also houses male death row inmates. The facility can house 2,700 inmates.
- Correctional Reception Center: A male prison located in Orient, Ohio. The facility can house 1,800 inmates.
- Dayton Correctional Institution: It is the only female prison that can house approximately 850 inmates.
- Franklin Medical Center: Franklin Medical Center FMC is a medical treatment facility for both male and female inmates based in Columbus, Ohio. The facility can house 500 inmates.
- Grafton Correctional Institution: It is a minimum to medium level security prison for male inmates. The facility can house 1,600 inmates.
- Lebanon Correctional Institution: It is a maximum level closed custody prison for male inmates which is located in Lebanon, Ohio. The facility can house 2,200 inmates.
- London Correctional Institution: It is a mixed security level custody prison for male inmates which is located in London, Ohio. The facility can house 2,200 inmates.
- Lorain Correctional Institution: It is a reception center for male inmates and is large to house inmates undergoing trials. The facility, therefore, has all security levels and can house 1,450 inmates.
- Madison Correctional Institution: The institution is a medium to minimum level security prison for male inmates that is located in London, Ohio. The facility can house 2,200 inmates.
- Mansfield Correctional Institution: It is a closed custody prison for male inmates which is located in Mansfield, Ohio. It is a minimum-security prison and can house 2,650 inmates.
- Marion Correctional Institution: It is a medium-level security prison for male inmates which is located in Marion, Ohio. The facility can house 2,564 inmates.
- Noble Correctional Institution: The institute is a minimum to medium-level security prison for male inmates located in Caldwell, Ohio. The facility can house 2,500 inmates.
You can read more articles about Prisons: